Thursday, March 6, 2008

Tired of being the representative

I was in Caen one night at David’s house when I had had enough. One of David’s friends had come to the house to play some music with David, and the conversation that ensued was typical of first meetings, but I didn’t want to deal with it this time.
Steryotypes. They present a problem. Usually when the conversation turns to the USA there is not a whole lot of positive things said. I try to correct things where I can , but for the most part, I agree with their statements. Still, after an hour of hearing someone dog your country, and multiply that by a few times a month, I don’t care who you are, it gets old. This particular guy proceeded to talk about how he saw on TV one time a girl in the US who didn’t know where Budapest was, she thought it was the capitol of Europe. Fine, like I say here, there are unintelligent people everywhere, but he was telling this story as if I wasn’t there, and then looks at me and asks, “So is it true, Americans don’t know where Budapest is on a map?”

I wanted to say ‘Yes, it is true, we are all complete morons.’…and then punch him in his face. I told him I didn’t know, and I then proceeded to tell him how sick I was of being the mouthpiece for 260 million Americans. I don’t know all of them. But I told him that all of my family, and most of my friends know where it is. And when I told Laura about this, she made the point that if you are going to judge an entire country by the response of one girl to a geography question there is seriously something wrong. Of course for those of us who have traveled it is a no-brainer. And sure some americans don't know this one small detail, but ask Bob or Josh about brewing, Jon, BJ or Garrett about climbing, Eli about anything sportsman, Glen about nutrition, Kevin, Mark or Laura about literature, and they’ll blow your mind.

This is a microcosm of what I am facing here, what the world is facing. But what is even more shocking, and what I realized was that we believe what we see on TV. Almost every commentary I hear here about the US starts out with “one time I saw a report on the US and they said…” The funny thing is that we do the same thing. When we talk about other countries we play off what we see in films and on TV. Some less than others, but for the most part we go off what we 'know'. I would love for someone to approach me and ask me if what they saw was true, or better yet to ask me what my life looks like where I live. They are amazed when I tell them that I am super conscious about what I consume, that I bike more than drive and that I don’t eat McDonald’s or drink Coke.

I wonder about the first conversations that westerners had with people from India, from Thailand, from China. Well of course they weren’t always easy, language difficulties, but I pose the question because I wonder what it was like to have no idea what you were going to find in a place before you got there. It is almost as if there is no room to be curious or to make a cultural, social error. We shy away from asking questions that might not be intelligent not “culturally sensitive” and instead make statements as if we know how ‘it’ all works. I shied away from being myself many times since I have been here because I didn’t want to be ‘that’ American in France. Turns out I am American.

Just a quick example of how trying to be overly culturally sensitive can make you a jerk. I have a girlfriend who is American. I like her. She is funny, she is smart, and sometimes she is loud; especially when she is excited about something. Normal right? Few people are super loud, and especially when you are in the market, it is difficult to hear people’s conversations. So first day Laura is excited to see me and I have the impression that she is yelling in my ear. I let her know and she gives me a look. No less than twice more within the next few days I correct her, until she looks at me and I know I have gone to far.

7 comments:

Josh Pfriem said...

Great thoughts bro!
A very hard battle, but a nice peaceful approach.

Unknown said...

it's nice to hear you admit to being american. i think about meeting the people you climb and dine with in Mazamet who were all struck by how "unamerican" you are. how your life is so much in contrast to the stereotypes they had before they met you. and i think you have an incredible opportunity to be a representative of a real person -- individually designed to his history, culture and place of formation -- and because you are american, this opportunity is a chance to challenge the stereotypes of the international people you come in contact with. and you don't have to do anything special, your daily life is a contrast to the negativity of this country's current legacy. and i hope you can embrace that without being too discouraged. but it really is too bad your girlfriend's so obnoxious;)

earl sullivan said...

...would have been a face punch for freedom.
glad you're back.

Annie Pfriem said...

Laura,

From one loud girl to another...
I love it...I feel as if we are two kindered souls in loudness.

I however am married to a louder guy...so whenever he comments on my "loudness"...I usually come close to slapping him.
Anyhow all that to say...
don't ever be ashamed of the "Volume" the Good Lord gave you...be proud.

Hunter - great thoughts.
Thanks for sharing what you are learning over there...

Dale Caldwell said...

i'm afraid i'm completely evil. i always point out that america is only what eurepeans do when they have enough room.

Mark W. Mallman said...

True. Australians are kind and generous, but have no qualms about giving "Yanks" the ol' what-for. They like to be listened to, though. It throws people off when I don't argue back. Most Americans are way ready for a new president, I tell them. Oh, they say, "well good on ya then, mate!"

Jessica said...

I think it is more unitelligent to stereotype all Americans by one thing someone saw on TV, then not know where Budapest is on a map. And seriously I don't think it would be to hard to find someone on the streets of Paris who can't locate Boise or better yet Nunavit on a map.